Turramurra Historical Note:
Turramurra is located 17 kilometres north of the Sydney central business district; it is in the local government area of Ku-ring-gai Council. South Turramurra and North Turramurra are separate suburbs.
Turramurra is an Aboriginal word that means High Hill
The area was referred to as Eastern Road by the early settlers. In 1890 the name Turramurra was adopted when the railway station was built.
Ingleholme a two storey federation house was one of the early landmarks in the area. It was built in 1896 by John Sulman – the home was part of the Presbyterian Ladies College for some time afterwards. In 1890 the post office opened.
A shopping centre is located along the Pacific Highway near the railway station. This includes banks, bakeries, fruit shops, real estate agents and a petrol station. Turramurra Plaza is home to more shops and a Franklin’s supermarket. A Coles supermarket is located behind Turramurra Railway Station near the library